Dumbarton 3
Raith Rovers 3
League (Championship)

3 - 3
Raith Rovers 

League (Championship)
Saturday, November 21st, 2015
CID Stadium. Att. 707
3:00 PM Kick-off

Steven Saunders (81)
Steven Saunders (83)
Garry Fleming (pen.) (87)
James Craigen (4)
Mark Stewart (44)
Scott Robertson (56)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken
Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
1. Mark Brown
14. Darren Barr
5. Gregor Buchanan
3. Mark Docherty
4. Steven Saunders
16. Calum Waters
21. Scott Brown
8. Grant Gallagher
18. Jamie Lindsay
17. Jon Routledge
24. Eamonn Brophy
Kevin Cuthbert
Lewis Toshney
Kyle Benedictus
Iain Davidson
Rory McKeown
Ryan McCord
Mitch Megginson
James Craigen
Scott Robertson
Mark Stewart
Craig Wighton

19. Jamie Ewings
22. Frazer Wright
9. Garry Fleming
13. Willie Gibson
7. Kevin Cawley
12. Steven Craig
23. Steven Ross
Ross Matthews
Darren Petrie
Ross Callachan
Grant Anderson
Jon Daly
Ross Laidlaw
Elliot Ford

Kevin Cawley for Calum Waters (46)
Garry Fleming for Scott Brown (46)
Willie Gibson for Grant Gallagher (68)
Darren Petrie for Mitch Megginson (70)
Ross Callachan for Ryan McCord (74)
Jon Daly for Craig Wighton (88)

Eamonn Brophy (74)
Ryan McCord (37)
Iain Davidson (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Greg Aitken (Referee)

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Match Report

IF you were one of the 707 people there, have you worked it out yet?

How Dumbarton, from staring so heavily down the barrel of defeat, could turn this game against Raith Rovers around to claim a point within 10 minutes?

At 4.35pm, many home fans would have been set to leave at full time relieved, if anything, that the game had only ended 3-0.

There was minimal sign of recovery from Sons as the Kirkcaldy side coasted into that lead through James Craigen, Mark Stewart and Scott Robertson.

But games end after 90 minutes, not 80. And as unlikely as it looked, the home side proved the merit of that statement.

Two headers within a minute by Stephen Saunders ended any thoughts that the game was over as a contest.

And after Iain Davidson handled Willie Gibson's shot in the area with three minutes remaining, Garry Fleming did what needed doing from 12 yards.

Incredibly the match could still have been won by Sons in unthinkable fashion as a Gibson cross then hit the post. Equally, defeat could still have been inflicted in a nerve-shredding goalmouth scramble.

As much as the first 80 minutes were concerning, the final 10 were worthy of recognition for the battling qualities shown.

On top of all that, Dumbarton broke what seemed to have become a habit of losing on the day of their Christmas night out.

The squad headed to Dublin for their festive celebrations after the game. Earlier in the afternoon it looked as if they'd just returned from them.

Three minutes was all it took for Raith to get off the mark, as Stewart played a low ball across goal and Craigen tapped home at the back post.

The first half progressed slowly but the visitors enjoyed the better of what chances there were. Gregor Buchanan's challenge denied Craig Wighton a certain goal while Iain Davidson headed over.

But a minute from half time, without a clear chance to their name, a hard task got even more difficult for Sons.

After a corner slipped from keeper Mark Brown's grasp, Stewart could hardly have had an easier task than to put the ball over the line from a yard.

Kevin Cawley was introduced at half time along with Fleming. Although the long-term impact was not foreseeable, some impression was made early in the second half.

From 20 yards, Cawley sent in a shot which was beaten away by the keeper.

However, the positive start to the second half did not last and on 58 minutes, Robertson made space for himself on the edge of the area and drilled home a low shot.

There were opportunities for Raith to extend their lead, as Mitch Megginson's shot was saved before Wighton's close range effort crashed off the bar.

Sons' response waited until 20 minutes from full time, when Fleming set Cawley up inside the area only for the shot to roll wide.

But with eight minutes remaining, Gibson's corner found the head of Saunders, whose effort registered one goal back.

That was greeted with minimal reaction from the home end, as at that point defeat still seemed inevitable.

However, two minutes later, suddenly there was optimism. This time it was Mark Docherty sending the ball into the box, and Saunders again powered home a header.

Within a minute Fleming could have headed Sons level but just missed the vital touch on Gibson's cross.

The screw continued to be turned and, after some deliberation, the referee ruled that Davidson's handling offence took place inside the area.

Fleming stepped up and Sons were level in a game where, five minutes previously, they had trailed 3-0.

With injury time imminent, Gibson's cross bent towards goal, with the keeper standing no chance, but hit the post and couldn't rebound for anybody to put away.

There was still time for Raith to salvage two points that looked so much like being theirs. Somehow, from a corner, a combination of efforts from Brown and Jamie Lindsay, on the goal line, prevented a fourth goal.

An afternoon which looked like being a damp squib had ended with drama of the highest order.

Match report written by Andy Galloway

Squad Statistics (as at November 21st, 2015)

2015-16 All Time
Mark Brown (GK)34 17 - 17 -
Darren Barr30 152152
Gregor Buchanan25 161161
Mark Docherty27 14 - 14 -
Steven Saunders24 5252
Calum Waters19 8 - 8 -
Scott Brown20 12 - 12 -
Grant Gallagher24 173173
Jamie Lindsay20 6 - 6 -
Jon Routledge25 17 - 17 -
Eamonn Brophy19 8181
Garry Fleming (sub)28 17411820
Willie Gibson (sub)31 172172
Kevin Cawley (sub)26 142142

League Table (as at November 21st, 2015)

No league table has been added for this season.