Livingston 1
Dumbarton 2
League (Championship)


1 - 2


League (Championship)
Saturday, November 15th, 2014
Almondvale. Att. 1,020
3:00 PM Kick-off

Daniel Mullen (29) Garry Fleming (62)
Mitch Megginson (70)

Team Managers
John McGlynn Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Darren Jamieson
Jason Talbot
Kyle Jacobs
Callum Fordyce
Shaun Rutherford
Burton O'Brien
David Robertson
Gary Glen
Keaghan Jacobs
Daniel Mullen
Myles Hippolyte
Jamie Ewings
Lee Mair
Andy Graham
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Garry Fleming
Scott Taggart
Scott Agnew
Colin Nish
Steven McDougall
Mitch Megginson

Paul Grant
Jack Cook
Jack Beaumont
Ryan Currie
Nejc Praprotnik
Jordan Whyte
Robert Ogleby
Stephen Grindlay
David van Zanten
Mark McLaughlin
Keiran MacDonald
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Archie Campbell

Jordan Whyte for David Robertson (73)
Robert Ogleby for Shaun Rutherford (80)
Archie Campbell for Garry Fleming (78)
Jordan Kirkpatrick for Steven McDougall (87)
Keiran MacDonald for Mitch Megginson (90)

Shaun Rutherford (52)
David Robertson (67)
Daniel Mullen (76)
Miles Hippolyte (87)
Garry Fleming (32)
Mark Gilhaney (35)
Colin Nish (83)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Stephen Finnie (Referee)

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Match Report

DUMBARTON achieved an incredible turnaround at Livingston, claiming a vital, hard fought win after looking as though things were going to unravel again.

In a disappointing first half, most of the possession and pressure came from Livingston and Sons ended up with no shots on goal.

The second period was a different story, and Sons finally brought their difficult spell to an end with a morale-boosting victory wrought out of possible defeat.

Commented manager Ian Murray afterwards: “They'll feel hard done by, but I thought with the aggression we showed in the second-half we just about shaded it. To get the three points is a massive boost for us.”

The home side dominated early possession, as Dumbarton struggled to find their feet.

When Stephen McDougall tried to set up a Sons counter attack he was pulled down by Kyle Jacobs, who nonetheless escaped a booking.

Much of the battle for supremacy was in the middle of the park, with neither side looking sharp enough to threaten decisively in the final third.

First sight of goal in the match saw Livi's Myles Hippolyte curl his effort in on Sons' keeper Jamie Ewings, who saved comfortably.

Colin Nish and Mitch Megginson linked up well on the left hand side, but the latter saw his attempt at a cross solidly blocked.

For Livingston, Daniel Mullen drove a menacing half volley over the bar from the edge of the area.

He it was who shortly afterwards produced the breakthrough when the home side went one up on 29 minutes.

A Dumbarton attack broke down, Andy Graham slipped, and Livi cut through. Mullen pounced, striking the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

Mark Gilhaney and Garry Fleming picked up bookings for tough challenges as Sons fought back.

However, the visitors were perhaps fortunate to just be one behind at the break, as a header from Callum Fordyce hit the bar, bounced along the line and was finally cleared.

It was a poor first half showing from Dumbarton, with no corners won, no shots on goal, almost nothing created and misplaced passes.

Sons were much more lively and determined at the beginning of the second half, but Livingston still looked threatening up front when they broke away.

Nish almost equalized within the first few minutes of the second forty-five, but his shot was stopped.

A shift in formation seemed to be benefiting Dumbarton, with Fleming pushing upfield.

Mullen almost had Livi two in front when he chipped past Ewings. The assistant's flag for offside denied him, however.

Scott Agnew whipped in a dangerous free kick. All it needed was a touch, but unfortunately Graham and then Fleming could not connect.

A fine block from Ewings kept out a Livi header from close range.

Megginson then did well to win the ball in midfield. He clipped a cross in, only to see it lurch just beyond reach.

At the other end, Mullen came close with a header. Nevertheless, the real momentum remained with Sons.

The fightback finally paid off on 62 minutes when Garry Fleming stormed in after a corner to slam the ball into the roof of the net to make it 1-1.

Sons continued to push forward, as Livi reeled.

Then on 70 minutes Dumbarton went in front to the vocal delight of the travelling support.

Impressive work from Mark Gilhaney on the wing got the ball to Mitch Megginson. He trapped it, turned and fired a fast low shot home to the right.

Gaffer Ian Murray, sensing the need to consolidate, decided that it was time to make further changes.

First Sons scorer Garry Fleming replaced by Archie Campbell. Then Stephen McDougall went off to make way for Jordan Kirkpatrick.

Livingston threw everything at their opponents, but Dumbarton remained stalwart at the back.

In one final change Megginson was replaced by Kieran MacDonald and the visitors hung on into time added on to secure a morale boosting win.

The victory ends a difficult spell for Dumbarton, and provides renewed energy for their Championship campaign.

Match report written by Simon Barrow

Squad Statistics (as at November 15th, 2014)

2014-15 All Time
Jamie Ewings (GK)30 3 - 62 -
Andy Graham31 171956
Lee Mair33 8 - 8 -
Chris Turner27 10 - 739
Mark Gilhaney30 17216529
Scott Agnew27 17112831
Scott Taggart22 12 - 12 -
Garry Fleming27 1528112
Steven McDougall28 8 - 637
Colin Nish33 171558
Mitch Megginson22 1726014
Keiran MacDonald (sub)21 9 - 9 -
Jordan Kirkpatrick (sub)22 142509
Archie Campbell (sub)23 171171

League Table (as at November 15th, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.