Stranraer 3
Dumbarton 2
Challenge Cup (1st Round)


3 - 2


Challenge Cup (1st Round)
Saturday, July 26th, 2014
Stair Park. Att. 355
3:00 PM Kick-off

Frank McKeown (64)
Frank McKeown (77)
Sean Winter (90)
Jordan Kirkpatrick (4)
Mark Gilhaney (45)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
David Mitchell
Scott Rumsby
Frank McKeown
Craig Pettigrew
Jackson Longridge
Stephen Stirling
Grant Gallagher
Sean Winter
Scott Robertson
Craig Malcolm
Jamie Longworth
Stephen Grindlay
Andy Graham
David van Zanten
Scott Linton
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Garry Fleming
Hugh Murray
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Taggart
Scott Agnew
Mitch Megginson

Chris Fahey
Anthony Marenghi
Barry Russell
Chris Aitken
Adam Forde
Sam McCloskey
Josh Lumsden
Joseph Coleman
Bryan Prunty
Steven McDougall
Colin Nish
Archie Campbell

Adam Forde for Jamie Longworth (72)
Anthony Marenghi for Stephen Stirling (79)
Archie Campbell for Garry Fleming (46)
Colin Nish for Mark Gilhaney (46)
Bryan Prunty for Jordan Kirkpatrick (63)

Sean Winter (90) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Des Roache (Referee)

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Match Report

Dumbarton threw away a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 to Stranraer in the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup.

The result continued Sons awful record in the competition.

Jordan Kirkpatrick and Mark Gilhaney put the travelling side 2-0 up at the break before a double from Frank McKeown and Sean Winter with almost the last kick of the game gave the hosts the victory.

Sons, sporting the recently unveiled new Baxter Ramsay sponsored kit for the first time in action, started brightly and were immediately rewarded with a goal after just four minutes.

A corner from Kirkpatrick was cleared to the edge of the area, where Scott Agnew was waiting, Agnew played the ball back out to Kirkpatrick and the second effort from the ex-Hamilton man missed everyone and finished in the bottom corner to give Dumbarton a perfect start.

Stranraer immediately were looking for an equaliser with Jackson Longridge and Jamie Longworth linking up well. The two played a one-two with Longridge hitting a powerful shot that Stephen Grindlay held well.

Sons then won a free kick on the edge of the area when Scott Linton was fouled. Mitch Megginson stepped up to take the free kick, which was well saved by David Mitchell. The rebound fell to Gilhaney but the winger could not quite adjust his feet to get a shot away.

Grant Gallagher did well in midfield to win the ball from Scott Agnew before firing an effort over from 25 yards.

Another chance for The Blues followed, with a Scott Robertson hitting the side netting.

There was one final first half chance for the home side, with Winter and Longworth breaking away. However, Winter held the ball up for just too long and Sons got extra defenders back to clear the danger.

On the stroke of half time, Dumbarton made Stranraer pay for the missed chances.

Mark Gilhaney was sent through on goal with just Mitchell to beat and he made no mistake in converting the ball past the keeper.

At half-time Sons looked comfortable and were worthy of their lead.

Ian Murray made two half time changes. Colin Nish and new signing Archie Campbell came on in place of the quiet Garry Fleming and second goal scorer Gilhaney.

Dumbarton had three chances in the first ten minutes of the half to really put the game to bed.

First, Campbell headed over from close range after great passing play from the away side. It was hard for the ex-Morton man to get any direction on the ball — as he was tall enough to reach it but not quite tall enough to head it downwards.

Captain Andy Graham then had a header go wide of the foot of the post, before Campbell had another chance as he cut in from the right and unleashed a shot that Mitchell held.

From there on in, it was one-way traffic in the hosts favour. Longworth got in behind the Sons defence but fired over the bar with Grindlay to beat.

Sons gaffer Murray used his final change with Bryan Prunty replacing Kirkpatrick.

Then Stranraer got the goal they deserved. McKeown unleashed a shot from twenty yards that flew into the bottom corner to get the League One side back into the game.

But despite the possession in their favour, Stranraer did not equalise until ten minutes after the first goal.

A free kick from forty yards was played into the back post and won by McKeown. His header looped over Grindlay and into the bottom corner.

This woke up Dumbarton, with Campbell getting another chance. He used his blistering pace to get in behind the Stranraer defence, but Mitchell denied his shot with one hand.

Sons finished the game with ten men. Colin Nish picked up a knock and with all substitutes already used, there was nothing that could be done.

Deep into injury time, Stranraer won the tie.

A cross from the right hand side was acrobatically put into the corner by Sean Winter in what can only be described as a Scorpion Kick.

It was a tremendous goal worthy of winning any match, but Sons will be left feeling sick after they threw away a 2-0 half-time lead.

Match report written by Jack Crawford

Squad Statistics (as at July 26th, 2014)

2014-15 All Time
Stephen Grindlay (GK)32 1 - 296 -
Scott Linton24 1 - 361
David van Zanten32 1 - 1 -
Andy Graham30 1 - 795
Mark Gilhaney29 1114928
Hugh Murray35 1 - 19 -
Garry Fleming27 1 - 6710
Jordan Kirkpatrick22 11378
Scott Agnew27 1 - 11230
Scott Taggart22 1 - 1 -
Mitch Megginson21 1 - 4412
Colin Nish (sub)33 1 - 397
Bryan Prunty (sub)31 1 - 11837
Archie Campbell (sub)23 1 - 1 -

League Table (as at July 26th, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.