Dumbarton 2
Raith Rovers 4
League (Championship)

2 - 4
Raith Rovers 

League (Championship)
Saturday, October 5th, 2013
Bet Butler Stadium. Att. 843
3:00 PM Kick-off

Bryan Prunty (89)
Bryan Prunty (pen.) (90)
Calum Elliot (17)
Greig Spence (pen.) (56)
Dougie Hill (61)
Lewis Vaughan (90)

Team Managers
Ian Murray
Grant Murray

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Aaron Barry
Andy Graham
Scott Linton
Paul McGinn
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Mark Gilhaney
Chris Turner
Mitch Megginson
12. Bryan Prunty
David McGurn
Jason Thomson
Paul Watson
Callum Booth
Dougie Hill
Joe Cardle
Liam Fox
Grant Anderson
Kevin Moon
Greig Spence
Calum Elliot

Stephen Grindlay
Scott Smith
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Ally McKerracher
Steven McDougall
Colin Nish
Kevin Smith
Ross Laidlaw
Ross Callachan
Lewis Vaughan
Gordon Smith
Reece Donaldson
David Bates
Ross Matthews

Colin Nish for Scott Agnew (58)
Kevin Smith for Garry Fleming (71)
Jordan Kirkpatrick for Scott Linton (77)
Reece Donaldson for Dougie Hill (66)
Gordon Smith for Greig Spence (74)
Lewis Vaughan for Joe Cardle (84)

Garry Fleming (64)
Chris Turner (84)
Joe Cardle (21)
Kevin Moon (58)
Callum Booth (71)
Liam Fox (89)

Red Cards
None. Reece Donaldson (90)
Match Officials

Brian Colvin (Referee)

Match Report

IN a topsy-turvy game at the Bet Butler Stadium, Dumbarton went 3-0 behind to industrious visitors Raith Rovers before grabbing two late goals themselves, and then conceding a fourth while searching for an equalizer.

“The game had plenty of drama,” commented Sons gaffer Ian Murray after the match. “There were goals, penalties and a red card. It was a disappointing result, obviously. Their goalie played well. We had our chances. We have another big game next week, so hopefully we can bounce back."

Dumbarton showed their vulnerability from the outset, with Rovers pressing hard and three corners rapidly being conceded by McGinn, Ewings and Graham within the first six minutes.

Nevertheless, it was Sons who had the first real chance. Mitch Megginson was played through. His first touch went awry, but he recovered well and cracked in a right-footed shot which went just too high.

A foul by Liam Fox on Mark Gilhaney on ten minutes gave the home side a free kick opportunity which went begging.

Then on 12 minutes Scott Agnew let fly with a left-footed shot from outside the box, which was well saved in a high and central position by Raith 'keeper David McGurn, who impressed throughout what would turn out to be a frustrating afternoon for Sons.

The visitors continued to break dangerously. Following some lax defending, Greig Spence threaded the ball to Calum Elliot. The Raith man slotted it home from six yards out to give his team a 1-0 lead after 17 minutes.

There was no let-up following the opener. Joe Cardle went down in the Dumbarton area on 20 minutes. Referee Brian Colvin had no hesitation in booking him for simulation.

Just before the half-hour the ball broke for Chris Turner 20 yards out. His left-footed strike went high and wide, however.

Another promising break involving Gilhaney broke down when the tricky winger was wrestled down by Kevin Moon – who was perhaps fortunate when he went unpunished.

Two minutes later Raith's Liam Fox sent in a thunderous strike from 25 yards, rattling Dumbarton's crossbar and also the nerves of the back line.

Sons had three further good efforts on goal before the break. Firstly a ball in from Gilhaney clipped the Raith bar.

Then Bryan Prunty struck the post in a crowded penalty area after the visitors' 'keeper had been left stranded.

Lastly, McGurn denied Dumbarton's Chris Turner from range.

In the second half, Turner and Garry Fleming got the game underway for Sons and Gilhaney had a chance on the right. He fired over the bar.

On 55 minutes Paul McGinn conceded a penalty. Spence stepped up and sent Jamie Ewings the wrong way to make it 2-0 to Raith Rovers.

In his first change of the afternoon, Dumbarton manager brought on big front man Colin Nish, replacing Scott Agnew, who had played well in spite of carrying a pain injection.

A minute later, Raith went 3-0 in front. A Cardle cross found Dougie Hill in the centre of the area. He nodded home. It looked all too easy.

Shortly afterwards there was a moment of drama when Gilhaney pushed in a right-footed shot that McGurn got a hand to but could not stop. The ball trickled onto the line before being cleared.

The home supporters were convinced that they had pulled a goal back, but the assistant referee was equally clear that the whole of the ball had not crossed the line. The score remained unchanged.

Gilhaney, at the centre of much of the action up front for Sons, fired wide again on 67 minutes. Cardle missed a similar chance from the right at the other end two minutes later.

On 71 minutes, striker Kevin Smith was brought on in place of forward midfielder Garry Fleming as Dumbarton decided to throw everything into getting back into the game.

For the next fifteen minutes Sons pushed but it looked as if a breakthrough was not going to be forthcoming.

Then, with two minutes to go before the end of normal time, Bryan Prunty, capitalizing on a weak back-pass, struck a right-footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom right-hand corner of Raith's goal to make it 3-1.

The drama continued. In the first minute of time added on Reece Donaldson was dismissed for a foul in the box. He received a red card and Dumbarton were awarded a penalty.

Up stepped Prunty once more to send McGurn the wrong way and make it 3-2. Was a miracle going to happen?

Substitute Jordan Kirkpatrick, who had replaced Scott Linton, looked as if he might provide the third Sons goal, but his effort lacked power.

Dumbarton piled forward looking for an equalizer. Instead, Raith caught them on the break. Gordon Smith supplied the ball to Lewis Vaughan in the six-yard box. He fired home from the left to seal the match 4-2 for the visitors.

Aaron Barry, who had put in some important stops, was chosen as the Sonstrust Man of the Match for Dumbarton.

Match report written by Simon Barrow

Squad Statistics (as at October 5th, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Jamie Ewings (GK)29 11 - 38 -
Aaron Barry20 10 - 10 -
Andy Graham30 111464
Scott Linton24 6 - 6 -
Paul McGinn22 11 - 252
Scott Agnew26 1029326
Garry Fleming26 102425
Mark Gilhaney28 9111825
Chris Turner26 103406
Mitch Megginson21 113113
Bryan Prunty30 1139133
Jordan Kirkpatrick (sub)21 4 - 4 -
Colin Nish (sub)32 7171
Kevin Smith (sub)26 8282

League Table (as at October 5th, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.