Dumbarton 2
Dundee Utd 3
League Cup (2nd Round)

2 - 3
Dundee Utd 

League Cup (2nd Round)
Wednesday, August 28th, 2013
Bet Butler Stadium. Att. 1,045
7:45 PM Kick-off

Kevin Smith (34)
Mitch Megginson (87)
Nadir Ciftci (69)
Ryan Gauld (77)
Nadir Ciftci (89)

Team Managers
Ian Murray
Jackie McNamara

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Aaron Barry
Andy Graham
Paul McGinn
Scott Smith
Garry Fleming
Hugh Murray
Chris Turner
Steven McDougall
12. Bryan Prunty
Kevin Smith
Radoslaw Cierzniak
Mark Wilson
Sean Dillon
Calum Butcher
John Souttar
Andrew Robertson
Paul Paton
Ryan Gauld
John Rankin
David Goodwillie
Brian Graham

Stephen Grindlay
Josh Horne
Ally McKerracher
Mitch Megginson
Colin Nish
Mark McCallum
Mark Millar
Michael Gardyne
Nadir Ciftci
Chris Erskine

Mitch Megginson for Garry Fleming (67)
Ally McKerracher for Scott Smith (79)
Colin Nish for Steven McDougall (79)
Nadir Ciftci for Mark Wilson (63)
Chris Erskine for David Goodwillie (76)
Mark Millar for Ryan Gauld (83)

None. Brian Graham (31)
Paul Paton (82)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Alan Muir (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

DUMBARTON put up a fine performance against Premiership visitors Dundee United in the second round of the Scottish League Cup, but in the end they were pipped at the post.

It was a vibrant occasion with a stirring atmosphere at the Bet Butler Stadium – even though the outcome proved disappointing, with Sons sacrificing a hard-earned first half lead as a result of defensive slips.

For much of the game, Dumbarton held their lines well. But against top-flight opposition, just a few mistakes cost them dear.

Sons started brightly, winning a corner but then not being able to capitalise on it. The home side found their footing first.

Early on, however, United showed their intentions. The visited created a whole raft of chances inside the opening quarter of an hour.

David Goodwillie rose for a free header from a Mark Wilson cross, but nodded it well wide.

Then Brian Graham had a volley brilliantly saved by Jamie Ewings in the Dumbarton goal, following Andrew Robertson's cross.

Left-back Robertson had an opportunity to get on the score sheet shortly afterwards. However he booted the ball out of the stadium.

At the other end, a great ball from Scott Smith set up front man Bryan Prunty. His header went disappointingly wide.

In another attack, Aaron Barry nodded a Chris Turner free kick across the goal but goalie Radoslaw Cierzniak came out to collect safely.

On 33 minutes, with Dundee United looking comfortable without having found a way of breaking through, Dumbarton struck.

Right-back Paul McGinn sent a ball to Kevin Smith from the halfway line. The forward turned John Souttar and shot past the onrushing Cierzniak, as the outwitted defender scrambled back vainly.

United almost equalised straight away when Gauld's 30-yard effort skimmed off Ewings' cross bar.

They then claimed a series of corners, with the pressure only relenting on Sons with a free kick after the third in a row.

Graham missed a late first half chance for Dundee United, and to the delight of a loud, enthusiastic home support, Dumbarton went into the break 1-0 ahead.

In the second half, the visitors wasted no time applying pressure to Sons defence, which looked resolute if stretched.

David Goodwillie went over easily on the edge of the area, giving United a free kick, which was cleared.

The men from Dundee hit the post again 10 minutes after the restart, thanks to a Paul Paton drive.

Then Aaron Barry almost scored at the other end, with Robertson blocking his strike in the goalmouth.

In 63 minutes Dundee United made what turned out to be a crucial substitution. Young Turkish signing Nadir Ciftci was brought on for Wilson by Arabs' boss Jackie MacNamara.

For Sons, gaffer Ian Murray brought on Mitch Megginson for Garry Fleming.

Two minutes later, Ciftci chested the ball inside Scott Smith after the Sons defender misjudged Paton's diagonal ball. The winger volleyed the ball home inside the near post, with Ewings unable to parry.

David Goodwillie was replaced by Chris Erskine on 75 minutes, as the visitors sought to grab the initiative.

They succeeded. Ciftci set up the second goal for United when he used his pace and strength to make the bye-line before cutting it across goal.

Gauld's first shot was pushed away, but had time to take a touch before firing the rebound home from close range to make it 2-1.

Murray responded with a double substitution for Dumbarton with just over ten minutes left on the clock, and the game storming from end-to-end.

With three minutes to go, it looked as if Sons had earned a further crack in extra time – no less than they deserved. Mitch Megginson cut in from the left and curled a superb ball into the far top corner of the net to equalise at 2-2.

The stasis did not last long. Both the Dundee United substitutes combined, with Chris Erskine moving inside from the right and playing a reverse pass to Ciftci, who fired home from 10 yards out.

It was a gut-wrenching finale for Sons, who were unable to make a further impression on the tie in the three minutes added on for stoppages.

Overall, it was a highly spirited and brave performance for Dumbarton against quality Premiership opposition, and the boys can be considered unlucky not to get something out of the game.

Match report written by Simon Barrow

Squad Statistics (as at August 28th, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Jamie Ewings (GK)29 6 - 33 -
Aaron Barry20 5 - 5 -
Andy Graham29 6 - 413
Paul McGinn22 6 - 202
Scott Smith21 5 - 24 -
Garry Fleming26 61384
Hugh Murray34 2 - 2 -
Chris Turner26 5 - 353
Steven McDougall27 61406
Bryan Prunty30 618631
Kevin Smith26 5252
Ally McKerracher (sub)17 2 - 2 -
Mitch Megginson (sub)21 6262
Colin Nish (sub)32 2121

League Table (as at August 28th, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.